If you are going to be traveling during the holiday, and you don’t have any bigs get-togethers planned, we have an easy menu of Thanksgiving staples that can be easily prepared in a vacation rental kitchen for just a few bucks. Try these simple recipes for a tasty turkey dinner for two on the go.
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of sliced almonds
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add trimmed green beans and boil for 5-8 minutes or until just cooked through with a slight crunch for texture. Drain green beans. Add lemon juice and butter. Toss lightly. Sprinkle with lemon zest and top it off with the sliced almonds.
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cubed sweet potatoes and boil for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain the sweet potatoes, and place them in a mixing bowl. Mash with a potato masher or a fork, then add cinnamon and brown sugar and mix. Serve with extra brown sugar on top (optional).
- 1 can whole berry canned cranberry sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon orange zest
Place cranberry sauce into a mixing bowl, add orange zest and mix well.
- Full breast of turkey (5-6 pounds)
- 1/2 stick softened butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried, ground sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
Defrost the turkey. Preheat oven to 450 F. Mix softened butter and sage together. Lift turkey skin away from the meat, and rub mixture evenly under the skin. Place in a baking dish or on a roasting rack, breast meat side up. Generously salt and pepper entire breast. Place turkey in oven and decrease temperature to 350 F. Roasting time will be about 15 – 20 minutes per pound. Start checking your turkey about half way through expected cooking time. The most reliable method for checking doneness is a meat thermometer. Internal temperature should reach a minimum of 165 F for food safety. If you don’t have a thermometer, juices should be clear when the meat is pierced and meat close to the bone should no longer be pink. Remove from the oven when done and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- McCormick or Knorr Gravy Packet: follow package directions
Apple Crumble (via Taste of Home)
- 1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Place apple slices in a small greased baking dish. In a small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add oats and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apple slices. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Serve with cream if desired.